Solved

Smokeball and New Outlook

Userlevel 1

Has anyone started using the New Outlook and been able to link e-mails to matters to Smokeball?

icon

Best answer by Sara Sultan 31 July 2023, 17:56

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@mallorylarkby 

This is a known issue.  We are still working on rewriting the Outlook Add-In to work with the new version.  Please revert to the old version or Outlook for now.

Is there any progress on the Add-In working with new Outlook? New Outlook has been out for some time now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hello @DCLaw ,

Our team is working on compatibility with the new version of Outlook. Until the add-in is updated please use the regular version of Outlook.  I have no timeline on the release date for the fix.

Thanks

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hello @DCLaw ,

Our team is working on compatibility with the new version of Outlook. Until the add-in is updated please use the regular version of Outlook.  I have no timeline on the release date for the fix.

Thanks

Suggestion: Make future versions cross-platform with Outlook for IOS and webapp. Office Add-ins platform overview - Office Add-ins | Microsoft Learn. From the Link:

Office Add-ins provide the following advantages over add-ins built using VBA, COM, or VSTO.

• Cross-platform support: Office Add-ins run in Office on the web, Windows, Mac, and iPad.

• Centralized deployment and distribution: Admins can deploy Office Add-ins centrally across an organization.

• Easy access via AppSource: You can make your solution available to a broad audience by submitting it to AppSource.

• Based on standard web technology: You can use any library you like to build Office Add-ins.

Any update on compatibility with the new (now reasonably old) Outlook?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No update yet.

When you say not to use the new version but to revert to the old version, is your reference to the new version to the following version: Microsoft® Outlook® for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2310 Build 16.0.16924.20054) 64-bit? That’s the version that I’m using, and I’d like to confirm that your suggesting I revert back to an older version of Outlook.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hello @mbrubacher 

Thank you for asking for clarification.  When I mentioned the new version, I was talking about the toggle option in the upper right of Outlook.  It needs to be kept off for now.  The Version 2310 Build 16.0.16924.20054 you are on is fine.

Do we have any idea if or when this will be updated?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hello Sean,

We are still in the process of changing our add-in to work with the new look in Outlook.  I still do not have any updates on timelines.

Userlevel 4

Hello Sean,

We are still in the process of changing our add-in to work with the new look in Outlook.  I still do not have any updates on timelines.

Has this been resolved yet?

Userlevel 2

Hi @Funkytown ,

Let me share with you a summary of the most recent update from our team regarding the development status of the “New Outlook” add-in for Smokeball.

Microsoft introduced a "New Outlook" feature in their Outlook app last year, shifting to a web-based interface. However, this new interface isn't compatible with the existing Outlook integration that uses a COM Add-in, as the new view employs a Web Add-in.

Efforts were made to develop integrations using the new Outlook web add-ins, starting with the Calendar. However, it was found that these web add-ins lack certain functionalities present in the old add-ins. For instance, they don't support opening .MSG or .EML files directly. Consequently, custom solutions had to be built to replicate the missing features, which proved challenging.

While Microsoft is working on enhancing the functionality of these web add-ins, there are still limitations that need to be addressed. Until then, users are advised to stick with the Classic Outlook view to maintain the full integration benefits. Updates on the progress of integrating with the new web add-ins will be provided, but for now, instructions on switching back to the Classic view will be issued as the new view is set to become default soon.

Thank you for your understanding and for being a valued member of our community!