Introduce yourself here-February 2023 edition

• 1 February 2023
  • 6 replies
Introduce yourself here-February 2023 edition
Userlevel 6
  • Community Manager
  • 176 replies

As is tradition- each month I ask members new and old to introduce themselves by answering a few simple questions. 

Here’s our questions for February: 

1. How long have you been working in the legal sector and what inspired you to start? 
  2. What historical case would you see in person and why? 
    You’ve been given a time machine, it can only travel to courts, tribunals or similar places. What would you travel to see? For me it would be Lincoln’s first ever case. I’d love to see him in his early days, before he rose to greatness. 
  1. More income or more free time? 
    Choose one: Work exactly as much as you do now, but earn twice as much income
    or
    Work half as much for but earn the same income you earn now in that time?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hello all,

Here are my replies to this month’s questions:

1. How long have you been working in the legal sector and what inspired you to start? 
    Fell into as father-in-law, uncles and cousins are real estate attorneys and needed help.
    I have no idea.  I don’t know that I would like to sit through any trial, really.  I’ll take the nightly news recap please. 
  3. More income or more free time? 
    Free time hands down!
    Work half as much for but earn the same income you earn now in that time = 😁

Userlevel 3
    I have worked in legal tech for almost 4 years. The legal industry helps make the world go round, so I joined Legal tech because I knew I could make a real world impact.
    No clue, but I definitely enjoy watching the case in the film Legally Blonde 😂
  3. More income or more free time?
    More free time, I have too many hobbies.
Userlevel 4
Badge

Here’s our questions for February: 

Roughly 6 months now.  Being a Law dropout, it only seemed fitting. 😆
    Julian Assange's case so I could fulfill my wish of seeing him once in person.
    OR the Ghislaine Maxwell trial to find out what public figures are in Epstein's little black book 🤓
    1000000000000% same amount of work as I do now for double the money 🤗
Userlevel 6
    I started out in the advocacy/lobbying space close to 20 years ago now. I was inspired by some major funding issues that existed at the time in Australia for people living with disability or other health issues. Much of my work was to support individuals with access to justice issues which we could then use as evidence for legislation, policy or funding changes. 

I often ended up working closely with experts in the legal field even if I rarely ended up in a court or tribunal (thankfully). I don’t think anything quite like Smokeball existed at the time, but we could have done a lot more with a lot less using it. 

My answer stands seeing Lincoln in action before he grew into the icon we now know him as. 
    Now, I know I wrote this question, but I’d love just a little less work and just a little more income. Despite all the hobbies and side-hustles I have, I think I’d get bored without a 9-5 job. 
Userlevel 3
Badge
  1. 16 years - I fell into the job and am now stuck here forever!
  2. Oooooo there are so many!!!  Being in South Carolina, I’d probably have to say George Stinney or Pee Wee Gaskins.  Michael Ryan & Rulo, Nebraska would have been a crazy but horrifying case to sit in on.  
  3. 10000000% more free time!

1. How long have you been working in the legal sector and what inspired you to start? I have been a family law paralegal for 22 years.  I didn’t know what I wanted to do, so I started by taking the Paralegal 101 class.  I got a “B” in the class and thought it was a career I could see myself in.  I took the remaining paralegal courses and got all “A’s” and here I am. 
    You’ve been given a time machine, it can only travel to courts, tribunals or similar places. What would you travel to see? I would go back to the OJ Simpson trial.
    Choose one: Work exactly as much as you do now, but earn twice as much income
    or
    Work half as much for but earn the same income you earn now in that time? Hmmmm, I’m going to have to say work half as much and earn the same income.  I live to travel!!!