Tell us what you think: Share your feedback on the Client Portal here

• 16 April 2024
  • 9 replies
Tell us what you think: Share your feedback on the Client Portal here
Userlevel 1

Hi Team,

I'm Kate the new Senior Product Designer here at Smokeball.

It's my job to look at the Smokeball experience for firms as well your clients and make it as fantastic and easy to use as I possibly can.
Right now my focus is on our client portal and the Tools in Smokeball that help you connect and communicate with your clients.

I have two simple questions that will take less than 5 minutes to answer, but the insights you give will be invaluable.

1. What are your clients telling you they want or need to make communicating with you easier?
  2. What would enhance your toolkit for communication with clients?

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@KateSmokeball welcome.

1) If I understand correctly, currently our communicate notifications go to clients by email. The client then hopefully logs in to communicate to check their messages. I have had numerous clients tell me that they receive too many emails to check for message and that they would appreciate a text message informing them that they have received an email. Here are three possible solutions to get push notifications:

a) If clients can use the communicate app on Android or iOS it would be good to push them into downloading that in the first and subsequent communicate emails.
b) Perhaps a QR code for the communicate app could be created to be added to our business cards - or a hyperlink on our website - to make onboarding clients to communicate more seamless.​​​​​​
c) Add a feature to send a text message to client informing them of a communicate message (or calendar event) rather than an email when the communicate message is sent. Include a link to the communicate app in the text message.

2) Possible improvements to the communicate:

• Add the ability to add tasks to clients and transmit them through communicate;
  • Provide up to date calendar / tasks assigned to client in summary view to client accessible through communicate;

Bonus improvements for communication with clients generally:

• Add automation field(s) to templates for stages, calendared events, and complete/incomplete tasks for use in status update letters. Imagine a “You are here” document for clients explaining where they are at in the litigation using the data already entered into Smokeball.
  • Consider enhancements to calendar such as: a) an [event type] field; and b) an [appearance method] field. Allow firms to specify messages to go along with the [event type] and [appearance type]. My firm uses TextExpander for the sole purpose of adding these messages to each calendar event that we invite a client to. Here is what our firm uses to select from to communicate the purpose and appearance method for calendar events transmitted to clients:

Userlevel 1

Hi @JKibler, thank you so much for your feedback. I will consider all of your points and explore how they might be included in our new design. Thank you once again for your input - it’s greatly appreciated.

If you’re interested in giving any further feedback over a video call, including for a early prototype, please reach out to me via kate.baker@smokeball.com.au or you can book in a time here. Cheers, Kate

Userlevel 1

@KateSmokeball 

Thank you for the opportunity to share our insights on enhancing the "Communicate" portal within Smokeball. As a new user, these initial ideas aim to improve how we connect with our clients through your platform, particularly beneficial for conveyancing matters due to their transaction-heavy nature:

1. Task and Case Progress Management:
    • Introduce an interactive task list and set up task reminders to help clients stay organised and track critical dates.
    • Implement a matter stage or progress view so clients can visually track the advancement of their case and integrate critical dates into their personal calendars with automatic reminders.
  2. Document Management and Accessibility:
    • Enable downloading the entire conversation flow and all case-related documents as a zip file, which helps clients keep comprehensive records and streamline document access.
    • Enhance document management by organising documents into specific folders or groups within the portal.
  3. Communication Enhancements:
    • Facilitate direct calls to solicitors through the portal, including displaying call stamps and duration for better transparency.
    • Implement a function to schedule appointments with solicitors directly through the portal, complete with appointment reminders and updates post-appointment.
  4. Client Education and Support:
    • Develop a dedicated knowledge base for conveyancing clients, allowing them to access relevant materials on their own time, aiding self-education. (Should allow us to upload relevant materials at the back end)
  5. Client Engagement Tools:
    • Introduce direct feedback and referral links within the portal to encourage engagement and make it easy for satisfied clients to leave reviews and send referrals.

These suggestions are based on my initial observations after exploring the functionalities of the "Communicate" portal. Currently, it is a very neat and easy-to-use platform, and it already serves as an excellent tool. I believe these enhancements could further refine its effectiveness and user experience across various legal fields, while being especially beneficial for conveyancing.

Userlevel 1

Hi @Sherry  thank you so much for this - some of your ideas, we’re already exploring, and others, I shall be sure to consider further. Thank you once again for your input - it’s greatly appreciated.

If you’re interested in giving any further feedback over a video call, including for a early prototype, please book in a time here or you can also reach out to me via kate.baker@smokeball.com.au.

Cheers, Kate

Userlevel 1

Hi @Sherry  thank you so much for this - some of your ideas, we’re already exploring, and others, I shall be sure to consider further. Thank you once again for your input - it’s greatly appreciated.

If you’re interested in giving any further feedback over a video call, including for a early prototype, please book in a time here or you can also reach out to me via kate.baker@smokeball.com.au.

Cheers, Kate

Hi Kate

Some more thoughts on this:

An alternative to the traditional knowledge base might be the implementation of an AI assistant. This tool could provide clients with immediate answers to common questions through a conversational interface, using pre-prepared responses.

Given the rapid advancements in AI technology and evolving client preferences, an AI assistant might offer a more effective and engaging solution in today's digital landscape. This could significantly enhance clients’ satisfaction by providing quick and accessible support, thereby improving overall experience for our clients.

Thank you for considering this suggestion.

Userlevel 4

I’d like to be able to create zip files from within Smokeball. It is cumbersome to export files, zip them, then import the file back, then share them through the Communicate app. 

Yesterday I sent a mediation letter with exhibits to a mediator. The mediator responded today and we had the following exchange (The comments are similar to what I’ve heard with others) 

Mediator “Received – but with some difficulty as I had to download each document individually into Boyd’s file.  Thankfully there were not a lot of exhibits.”  

Me “Thank you for the feedback. I assume a zip file with the exhibits would have been more convenient for you?”

Mediator “It would have been.  This new program was very easy – that was a plus!  But I wish it would allow some way to download all exhibits at once.” 

Userlevel 1

Hi @Funkytown, thank you for this. Looking forward to speaking with you more about this tomorrow!
If there was functionality to both upload and download multiple files simultaneously would this fix the issue or is reducing the file size also of importance? Cheers, Kate

Userlevel 4

Hi @Funkytown, thank you for this. Looking forward to speaking with you more about this tomorrow!
If there was functionality to both upload and download multiple files simultaneously would this fix the issue or is reducing the file size also of importance? Cheers, Kate

Uploading multiple files is straightforward. I have heard from several clients and mediators that downloading multiple files would be helpful - or perhaps - even better, the ability to share a folder using the share secure files link. 

Userlevel 4

Hi @Funkytown, thank you for this. Looking forward to speaking with you more about this tomorrow!

Thank you for considering my input and sharing a glimpse of the future!. I’m super excited about where you take this!