Solved

Staff Permissions

• 15 March 2023
  • 7 replies

How do you all set up attorneys and staff as far as billing permissions?

icon

Best answer by jsalter314 16 March 2023, 20:13

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi Becky,

Are you looking to know how to set up Permissions, or how firms tend to set permissions across staff roles?

Hi Sara.

How firms tend to set permissions across staff roles is my question.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hello Becky,

As a trainer, I see a very wide range of permission settings.  Usually larger firms (10+ users) are more likely to implement permissions.  Most commonly, billing is restricted to all but the partners and the bookkeeper.  Some of the larger firms even set it so that their staff cannot see other staff’s billable rate.  

I have also seen firms that use permissions primarily to keep certain staff out of matters due to potential conflicts within the firm.  

I will see I can get any users using permissions to reply here.  

@mallorylarkby @meagandrost @KAmbrose @jsalter314 @Carrie R @jbello do your firms use permissions?

Great, thank you Sara.

Userlevel 2

Hi Becky (and Sara):

In our firm we went so far as to remove the billing integration from Smokeball in the settings.  Then we added permissions.  Only those users with access to the Smokeball Billing Website have access to any financial information.  We did not add permissions regarding hourly rates.  

@jsalter314 is that something that needs to be customized by Smokeball? I think I’d rather not have that option in settings either.

Userlevel 2

If you go into Settings, and then Time & Billing, you will see the Billing Integrations tab.  Just unclick it.  It removes the financial information regarding billing from Smokeball.  Users can still enter their time and expenses, you can enter their hourly rates either in general or per matter, but the “Billing Information” will not be seen on a matter.  Then, you can go in to the permissions and also change the permissions to the billing app and such.