Solved

Smokeball on Windows for ARM

• 25 October 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi All, 

If anyone out there is running Smokeball on a Surface Pro 9 5G, I would love to hear how your experience has been with the SQ3 chip.  (You’re welcome to send me an email directly.)

I have tried running Smokeball on a Surface Pro X which had the SQ2 chip but the emulation was too much for the chip to keep up with.  Additionally, the embarrassingly low amount of RAM on the Surface Pro X made it pretty frustrating to use.  Now that Microsoft has decided to stop including LTE/5G connectivity with any Intel-based Surface Pro models, we will have to choose between having a network connection or dealing with lag-ridden performance due to emulation. 

I am positive that at some point, Smokeball will be ported to Windows on ARM but until then -- as my kid said to Alexa, after being given the cold shoulder by the cat -- “Alexa, play sad cat music.”

icon

Best answer by Sara Sultan 25 October 2022, 16:16

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hey Athar,

I cannot wait to hear “sad cat music”.  I have a Surface Pro, but mine is a Surface Pro 5.  That said, it works great with Smokeball, but I have an i7 processor and 16 GB RAM.  If I run across anyone using the SQ3 I will direct them here.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@Sara Sultan -- I have a Surface Pro 8 with 16GB RAM.  That should really be enough but I feel convinced that Microsoft throttles the CPU to mitigate issues related to heat generation.  I have tried to make tweaks to the system but there is only so much one can do without making the computer unstable.  I am interested in seeing what happens with SQ3 especially if Smokeball decides to compile the code for Windows on ARM.