Solved

Save PDF into SB from application

Userlevel 1

I see how we can save a PDF into SB from a browser or outlook, but how do we save a PDF into SB from Acrobat or other native application? 

Also, how do we save a Word doc that originates outside of SB (not from Outlook or browser)? 

Thank you! 

icon

Best answer by emily142 3 April 2023, 20:36

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 4

Hi Jordan! You can always import documents to your matters in SMokeball. You can use the Import action button in the matter, drag and drop the document, or right click and select Import in the matter. 

There is also a Google Chrome extension that you can use for documents on the web. https://support.smokeball.com/hc/en-us/articles/5985825921815-Google-Chrome-Extension

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@Jordan there is a method to use the chrome extension in the Edge browser (because it is based on Chrome) but it requires additional steps. Let me know if you need that and I’ll write it up.

Userlevel 1

Thank you both.  This is very helpful.  I use Chrome, so I don’t need the Edge instructions.  Ideally, there would be an Adobe integration like they have with Word so you can save directly from the document without going to SB, but it’s pretty easy to do that from outlook and the Internet, so that’s great. 

Userlevel 2

Thank you both.  This is very helpful.  I use Chrome, so I don’t need the Edge instructions.  Ideally, there would be an Adobe integration like they have with Word so you can save directly from the document without going to SB, but it’s pretty easy to do that from outlook and the Internet, so that’s great. 

I also would like a way to save pdf’s directly to a smokeball file without having to first save it somewhere else and either dragging and dropping it over or importing it. As far as I am aware, you can not “save as” into a smokeball file like you can in Word. 

Userlevel 1

I’m trying to use the Chrome extension but it only saves the page as a webpage, not a PDF.  Am I doing something wrong? 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Jordan: enable the Smokeball extension in Chrome and disable the Adobe extension.

Userlevel 3

This isn’t ideal, but you can also cludge together something that behaves like a Windows Explore extension with the Scan To Smokeball application, as follows:

1. Right-click on the pdf in your explorer window and select “Open with” in the flyout menu, then select “Choose another app.”
  2. In the dialog box that opens, scroll to the bottom and click “search for another app on my pc.”
  3. In the next dialog box, navigate to the Smokeball Scan application, which by default would be installed at "C:\Program Files\Smokeball\binaries\Smokeball Scan.exe”

The above will result in a Smokeball dialog box opening that is just like what happens when you “Save to Smokeball” in an app integration.  After you do the above cumbersome steps the first time, Scan to Smokeball will appear in the fly-out menu anytime you right-click on a document in Windows explorer and select “open with,” so you only have to go through the whole routine once.

Userlevel 2

@Chuck that is super handy. How did you even figure that out?

Userlevel 3

The hypothesis that the process of linking the scanning software to Smokeball scan was essentially doing little more than generating the command:

>”smokeball scan.exe” %filename%

and that’s exactly what “open with” does.  So I tested the hypothesis.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@Chuck Neat. Can also find Smokeball under the Right Click “Send To” option. 

Userlevel 4

Jordan: enable the Smokeball extension in Chrome and disable the Adobe extension.

How can I disable the Adobe extension?

Userlevel 4

The hypothesis that the process of linking the scanning software to Smokeball scan was essentially doing little more than generating the command:

>”smokeball scan.exe” %filename%

and that’s exactly what “open with” does.  So I tested the hypothesis.

Just configured that and it works...but

How is that different than using the right-click “>send to>Smokeball” feature? 

Userlevel 4
Badge

How can I disable the Adobe extension?

Funkytown: 

Click-on the extensions icon and “manage extensions” (or go to “More Tools” in your Chrome settings to do the same). 

From there you can toggle on/off your various extensions.  Smokeball ON, Adobe Acrobat OFF.

Userlevel 4

Thank you. Now I understand what you meant.

I also had to click “view”  extensions and pin the Smokeball  extension to the bar.