Solved

PayNow/Payments to invoices

• 11 January 2024
  • 1 reply

I have recently issued new invoices for the month of December. Some had balances carried forward from earlier months’ invoices. The December invoices therefore show total owing on the matter however, now that I am due to dire4ct funds from trust to some of them, I can only direct funds in the amount of the amount owing for the last invoice - not an amount inclusive of the carried forward amount.

Example - Clt G is on a payment plan of sorts where they pay a small amount of $90 into  trust fortnightly. They had $1000 remaining from invoice owing in November. $1000 carried forward to the December invoice, but the December invoice was only $50. The invoice sent out for December notified $50 owing for this invoice and a total of $1050 owing all together.

At the time of issuing the December invoice I informed the client they had $270 in trust and this amount would be directed towards payment of this invoice.

7 days have passed and I can direct $270 to payment of the invoice but if I click the “Pay Now” button or click “Add Payment”, it tells me I can only seek payment of the $50 owing for that invoice - it will not allow me to apply $270 to the total outstanding amount detailed on that invoice as it seems to only acknowledge the amount owing just for the most recent period.

Please tell me - do I simply need to go back to the previous November invoice and apply $270 to that one and not worry about the new invoice and, then, each month, keep going back to old invoices even though their balances have been carried forward onto new invoices for the client? If so - that seems a bit annoying that we cannot just skip to the most recent and all inclusive invoices. Further - will having to do it this way risk the next invoice issued taking off the $270 from the November invoice when carried forward but not off the $1,050 considered owing on the December invoice?

icon

Best answer by Sam Stephens 11 January 2024, 22:28

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi @KirstenP,

The way the amounts owing work in Smokeball is the total amount owing will be calculated per matter, as long as all of the debtors on the invoice are the same, and so yes it should work how you’re expecting it to.

The easiest way to apply a Trust payment to a matter is to open the matter you’re working on, and select the Invoices tab.

You’ll then see an Add Payment button in the top action bar. If you select that, a pop up box will show you all invoices owing on that matter and you can select the invoices you’d like to apply payments to, and how much.

Is this what you had in mind?

As a quick note, if you open up an invoice and click Add Payment, it will only add a payment for that specific invoice. But as mentioned, if you add a payment from the Invoices list page, you’ll be able to apply payments to all unpaid invoices.

cheers

Sam