Solved

Document Template Automation: Details Section, "Duration" field - Purpose?

• 22 December 2023
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

My firm is interested in exploring minimum billable time (“piecemeal plus”?) for the automated forms we have invested time in creating ex. Petition for Dissolution of Marriage or Parenting Plan. There is a field called “Duration” in the Smokeball Pane within document automation view in Microsoft word:

I cannot locate any resources in Smokeball’s support hub regarding this field. I created a document using “1:00” in the field and it did not post 1:00 as a time entry in the matter. Does anyone know the purpose of this field? ​​​​​​

Here is my dream feature set for this:

First, have a master setting in SB desktop main settings that enables or disables time entries according to “Duration field”; Second, have a master setting to allow fixed fee according to duration OR allow minimum of the duration hours amount instead. in other words, if time spent editing document exceeds the amount in duration then use the time spent editing instead of the fixed fee amount.

Second, have the option to customize these setting on a per document basis. Example: if an entry of appearance should only ever be billable as .1 then make entry fixed fee .1 instead of longer duration regardless of how long it takes.

Third, create a report for all template duration and individualized settings. This could be used to create a list of standard charges and fees to attach to client contracts so that they know up front what the minimum fee amounts will be for document automation.

Fourth, create a report for when document drafting exceeds the duration stated. Example: A motion to continue should only usually take .2 hours. But junior associate or staff spends .5 hours on it. Include this on report to show when staff are spending too much time on work.

icon

Best answer by Sara Sultan 26 December 2023, 17:06

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi Jonathan,

I will make sure the Product team has eyes on this.  The idea of this field was to have the activity time tracked default to the time entered here in regardless of whether the actual time spent was over or under what was entered in the duration field.  This no longer is the case.  I am not sure what product has in mind for this field, if anything, but I like your suggestions very much!