Solved

Designating the practices for "Ethics" and "Professional Responsibility"

• 26 January 2024
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2

7+ years Smokeball small solo firm here.

About 99% of our firm’s work is under the practices of:

1. Professional Responsibility
  2. Ethics

As smokeball adds new great functionality, we are seeing that practice areas don’t include these two important categories. Example is the new “Intake Forms” where “Select Practice Area” has no category that would describe these two areas above.

Ideally we would like to see these two practice areas added across the board for any functionality that requires “Selecting Practice Area”.

How to other firms handle this situation? I’ve searched the community and cannot find any relevant material.

Is there a workaround or can Smokeball developers add this to the system?

Thank you,

Dan Austin

BrotmanLaw / US

icon

Best answer by Ben 28 January 2024, 23:35

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 6

Hi Dan, thanks so much for sharing this with us. Our intake functionality is relatively new, so unfortunately we don’t have a huge body of knowledge here in the community- yet. I’ll think on some ways to build this out for folks like you a little faster :),  

In regards to your requests: I know that our team is hard at work dialing in the new Intake features to cover as many practice areas as possible. I’m not sure if these practice areas are on the cards yet. To that end I’m going to tag @Jasmine and @NKartha on this one as they might have a little more insight into how things are progressing and any potential workarounds too. 

Userlevel 2

Thanks, Ben.

Yup, these practices never get any love. lol

But every attorney, regardless of their practice, are required to follow the Rules of Professional Responsibility and have Ethics requirements. If/when they encounter an issue, they may need other an attorney who specializes in these practices o represent them in front of a Disciplinary Board -- so these are important practices.

I’m hoping that these can be added to your database/drop down menus as standard practices.

Userlevel 2

Hi @BrotmanLaw-Dan 

Appreciate you bringing our attention to these practice areas! @NKartha’s team is continuing to add practice area specific intakes. Keep an eye on the Community for newly released forms!

In File > Smokeball Settings > Intake Forms > Practice Areas and some other places where you select practice areas, the available options mirror the top level categories you see when creating a new Matter. The “Professional Responsibility” Matter type is categorized under the “General”. 

Tagging @Josh Hehner so he is aware of your interest in an “Ethics” matter type.

We will definitely keep this feedback in mind as we continue to develop our features!

Userlevel 2

Thanks, Hannah - Really appreciate your response and guidance.

As usual, the SB is listens and is “on it”! 

Good to know we have an advocate and will keep an eye on the Community for more release forms.

And (hopefully) see “Ethics” added as a bona-fide practice for Matter Type.

Dan

Userlevel 6

Hi @BrotmanLaw-Dan I just had a quick chat with @NKartha. We’ve made a ticket for this request for you and we’ll take a look shortly :) 

The rise of the Ethics matter type begins. 

Userlevel 2

Perfect - thanks again, Ben!