Skip to main content
Solved

Best practices and Estate Planning

• 20 October 2022
  • 3 replies

I am starting to do estate planning work and I have a question to see how other people are doing things. First, when I speak of estate planning it would involve anything from drafting Wills, Trust, Heath Care Proxies, Advance medical directives and POA. What are people doing when you have a client who wants all of these done for them? What matter type are you using? Are you using a new matter type for each of the items listed above? If doing it this way it would seem like you would be re entering info more times then not? or do you have all the above forms automated and just use one matter type? Any help suggestions and such would be greatly appreciated.  

Hi Walter,

I am so glad to hear you are adventuring into Estate Planning.  We recommend that you use the Estate Planning matter type almost exclusively.  This way if a client comes to you for a Power of Attorney and then comes back a year later for a Trust or Will, you can just reopen the matter.  Estate Planning is the “parent” matter type which allows you to do Trusts, Wills, Powers of Attorney and more.

@BridgetW @SallyBergman @crystallynndean @MattPerk @JudiJenz @Matt DeBoard @tbarlay @NinaA @amyg @CSantETC @tz8800 @Claudia Dean @Cipriano any words of advice for someone new to Estate Planning?

That sounds good @Sara Sultan and that is what we do. 

Eric Apjoke and I are currently looking into using more templates for estate planning as well, but we don’t have all of our forms ready to go. But for us, its all about creating efficiency and good solid legal documents that will work for our clients, so we are happy to see how other people have done templates or what other processes are in place. 

Thank you so much.