Solved

Just wondering - Matter Status

• 19 June 2023
  • 5 replies

How do you guys use the Closed, Cancelled and Pending Matter Status’ in Smokeball? I’m trying to figure out whether Canceled v. Closed impacts the way Smokeball spits out reports.

Are closed matters just cases that are actually completed where as canceled matters are cases that I withdraw from, the client cancels, or for what ever reason I do not see the case through to completion - I don’t know.

The help articles are of no help in explaining the difference between closed and cancelled or how they impact Smokeball matters and reporting. I understand that the client can still see documents after I close a matter. Can they still see documents and communications after I cancel a matter? That’s not clear. Is cancel more egregious than close - IDK?

My pending is all over the place - those are clients I typically place in a holding pattern for whatever reason (missing information, failure to pay, pedning withdrawals, etc) … How do you guys use the three status’.

I’m trying to get more organized and figure my life out...

icon

Best answer by CRhine 19 June 2023, 16:37

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 2

Before Leads was available we used pending for leads and converted them to Open with a signed retainer and payment. 

We used Closed for closed cases - so the closing letter was sent and the file was prepped and sent to storage.

Canceled was helpful if there was an accidental duplicate matter entry. 

For cases that are on hold (missing information, failure to pay, pending withdrawal, etc.) you could create a tag and leave in an open status but denote with a tag there is an issue with the case. 

Most reports allow you to select cancel and/or closed along with the other case statuses. But I don’t think closed or canceled has any special meaning besides what you give it. You’ll always have access to the information. 

I think once you make a decision and memorialize it, it will keep your files more organized and you can always train anyone assisting you on what the statuses mean as part of your firm protocols. 

Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hello @Msdenise6 

The main difference between closed and cancelled is that a closed matter allows you to set an archive date.  All reports will let you choose to see all matter statuses.  Our support articles are not very specific as some firms choose to use cancelled to track clients that fall through (real estate deal), while others use it for matters where they fire their client.

I do suggest however, in the case of duplicate matters that you delete one of the duplicates rather than cancel. 

Userlevel 2

@Sara Sultan Thank you for the clarification Sara. I am making note for future reference.

Userlevel 4
Badge

I do suggest however, in the case of duplicate matters that you delete one of the duplicates rather than cancel. 

@Sara Sultan - How do you delete a lead or a matter? 

In our case, we have some leads that were  erroneously created rather than just reopening a previously closed matter.  We’ve closed the lead, but is there a way to delete it so it doesn’t accidently get time or expenses booked against it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @JG3 

To delete a lead or a matter, open the lead or matter and choose File>Delete.