Introduce yourself here - October 2022

Introduce yourself here - October 2022
Userlevel 6
  • Community Manager
  • 179 replies

Another month passes and another Introduction thread appears!

This is a place for members old and new to say hello. Take a moment to have some fun, break the ice and share a little about yourself. You can answer any and all of these questions! 

1. What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given?

2. Help us find something new to watch. What’s the last great TV show or movie you watched? 

3. You’ve just become a finalist in the Miss or Mister Universe Pageant. Congratulations! What unique skill or talent will you show off in the talent round? 

23 replies

Worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.

2. Help us find something new to watch. What’s the last great TV show or movie you watched? 
For All Mankind on Apple TV, it’s alternate reality of what if’s stemming from what would have happened if the Russians had landed on the moon first.

3. You’ve just become a finalist in the Miss or Mister Universe Pageant. Congratulations! What unique skill or talent will you show off in the talent round? 

The ability to feed 3 dogs their breakfast without inciting anarchy from the pack.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi Everyone!

“What you permit you promote.” It really opened my eyes to looking at the effects of not handling issues when they arise. 

2. Help us find something new to watch. What’s the last great TV show or movie you watched? 
I just watched “Bros”. It is a pretty standard RomCom but centered on LGBTQ+ folks. It was funny, heartfelt, and just awesome to see. 

I would probably sing an aria from Le Nozze di Figaro (The Marriage of Figaro).

Userlevel 1

Hey Y’all!

1. What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given?

From a judge during my early practice days: under-promise and overdeliver. Honestly, wise words to live by and has served me well! 

I’ve been binging Attack on Titan - if anime is your thing, it doesn’t get much better. But, it will haunt your dreams.

It would probably start with me attempting to sing, and end with me backstage in a fetal position (I joined choir so that I never had to sing alone!).

Userlevel 1

Hello Friends! 

Great to meet everyone - I’m super excited to be part of the Smokeball Community. Please feel free to reach out I’d love to learn more about your firm’s goals and questions about how Smokeball can help make them a reality! 

• “No” is not a dirty word. Told to me by a mentor and serial tech entrepreneur, as a reminder to put boundaries in place to protect our time and the business.  
  1. Help us find something new to watch. What’s the last great TV show or movie you watched? 
  • Goliath - The 4 season legal drama sucked me in right from the start. In case you needed more #lawfirmlife in your world - this is a great series! 
  1. You’ve just become a finalist in the Miss or Mister Universe Pageant. Congratulations! What unique skill or talent will you show off in the talent round? 
  • Cooking! I love to cook and in another life went to culinary school. If you haven’t tried cooking with a Sous Vide machine it is one of the best ways to meal prep or entertain for guests ever! 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hello fellow ballers!!

"Aim for the stars, if you fail, you'll land on the moon"

Started watching Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story

Rapping Super Bass by Nicki Minaj

Userlevel 6

For me its several pieces of advice - Ray Dalio’s Principles

I’m a big fan of The Sandman comics by Neil Gaiman. I think the The Sandman Tv series is a great adaptation and worth watching if you’re into weird and wonderful tales. 

I’ve moonlighted as a professional photographer for many years. I’d show my photography skills. 

That or play a tune on my Banjo…. but I am not sure if that would improve my chances of winning 😅

I’ll paraphrase Nepolean hill, Budda, Jay Shetty, James Clear and many others: You become what you think or in the words of the little red engine “I think I can!”

Just watched the Neflix documentary about Australia II winning the America’s Cup - really inspiring story of passion, grit and the power of visualisation (yes, I watched the actual race back in 1983, which shows my age!, and the Aussies only had it for 1 year before the Americans won it back, but it was amazing to see the backstory to this moment in history.).

Oh dear! really? You’ll probably find me backstage organising everyone or telling adventurous travel stories!

Userlevel 2

Hello Smokeball Community! Glad to be here finally! I am Joan and I live in Connecticut, where we are currently experiencing beautiful fall foliage. 

Best advise: Don’t take anything personally. The Four Agreements is a must read for everyone, in my opinion.

Last Great TV Show: I’m currently finally getting to Better Call Saul. Great character development, even though they poke fun at elder law attorneys.

Unique skill: Hanging a spoon off my nose while raising one eyebrow. Sick skills here!

Userlevel 6

I just tried the spoon trick @Joan Reed Wilson and failed miserably so I’m impressed! I’ll give The Four Agreements a read. Thanks for sharing! 

Oh and welcome again to the Smokeball community :) 

Userlevel 2

Measure twice, cut once.

Julie & Julia - Rotten Tomatoes

Sourcing finance for young farmers… I can drive a tractor, header and sort out the bank :)

Userlevel 6

@COBOOTH  “Measure twice, cut once.” I love this. It is a piece of advice I also try to live by.

I sometimes measure 15 times and still cut twice… but that’s definitely a problem with my skill or lack thereof 😅

Financing young farmers is a very cool skill and much needed. I have some family with Merinos down in Victoria :) 

Go where you are celebrated. Do not stay where you are tolerated. Apply to all aspects in life. 

Hahaaaa…. a RomCom C drama. I’m too embarrassed to share 😋

I’m shorter than most pageant winners, but I still won? 

Userlevel 6

Welcome @Nompire! Another good piece of advice. thank you for sharing 🙂. I love your Avatar btw. Hopefully we help make that pile of paper a little smaller 😅

Hi All

I am an attorney from Long Island New York.  The summers are my favorite time of year here but by the end I always look forward to the fall.  The leaves are turning, the beach is quiet and peaceful, and the sky at sunset is grand! 

My practice is a bit varied.  I am counsel to a midsized real estate firm, and I call myself the “Swiss army knife” of lawyers because on any given day I am called to do things that I had no idea I would be doing the day before.  I have learned a lot here.

Best advice I would say is that if you can believe in yourself, anything is possible.  You CAN do it!  It all flows from confidence and remembering that failing is learning, and no one was born knowing it all.

In terms of TV, I admit watching less of it and watching more stuff on YouTube.  I am a big history fan…

Well, I can't juggle, and no one would vote for me in the evening gown or bathing suit competitions, but I like to think that my special sauce is being able to listen and understand a problem fundamentally so that I can come up with solutions that work.  

Userlevel 1

Always stand up for yourself.  Never be afraid to speak your mind. 

The movie Elvis.  I wasn’t a fan as a child but the movie was very good and told the story of how Elvis really got screwed over by his manager (played brilliantly by Tom Hanks).  Melancholy story to say the least.   

I have the ability to drop anything I am holding without being touched.   I can also recite the alphabet from Z to A.   

Userlevel 6

@John Patafio, welcome again! Another piece of solid advice that resonates with me. I’m in the Youtube camp too. I love Modern History TV and the various “Dark” channels. Particularly Dark Docs. I must confess I also watch a lot of Warhammer 40k lore… 

@Jeffrey Avny, a warm welcome to you too. The Elvis movie was so sad. On a less sad note -it was produced over here in Australia.

Dropping anything without being touched- what a skill 😅

Hello!! My name is Alexis and I’ve been a paralegal for about 6 years. A fun fact about me is I have bright red hair!! I've been dying it red since I was 13 years old. So, no it’s not a phase (LOL!!), it’s been red for about 15 years now. It’s nice to meet everyone🤗

Be kind, ALWAYS. You never know what someone is struggling with and you just might be the first person to be kind to someone in a while if they’ve been having a rough go of it. Always look on the bright side and search for the good in people before you write them off.  

2. What’s the last great TV show or movie you watched? 

The Patient. It’s a thriller-type show about a therapist and his patient. The actor playing the therapist is Steve Carell. It’s got an amazing storyline and I’ve really been enjoying it so far!! I highly recommend it! 😊

3. What unique skill or talent will you show off in the talent round? 

Hmmm, 🤔 I’m not sure that this would be considered unique LOL but I play the alto saxophone and I’m really really good at doing hair and make-up! ❤❤❤

Userlevel 6

Welcome @Alexis Taylor! It’s great to have you here :) 

I’ll go check out The Patient! Is Steve Carell serious in the role? It might take me a little while to adjust to that 😅

Can you do hair and makeup AND play the alto sax at the same time? I think you’d definitely win. 

@Ben I really appreciate it. The Firm I work for is rather small and we never had any kind of system or software in place until recently. I practically begged my boss to sign up for Smokeball. Needless to say, I am VERY excited to join the Smokeball family. 😎

Steve Carell is actually playing a serious role in this one!! It was a bit weird at first but he’s honestly playing the part so well. You can find the show on Hulu!

LOL, I don’t think I could do all 3 at once. I’ll have to give it a try and find out. Never know until you try!!

Have a great day and thanks again for the warm welcome!! 😊

Keep moving forward. From Meet the Robinsons 😊

Cyberpunk: Edgerunners⚡️

I’d probably be one of the photographers, not the one on stage! 📸

1. What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given? “You win some, you lose some, but you live to fight another day.” -Pops from the movie Friday (John Witherspoon) 

2. Help us find something new to watch. What’s the last great TV show or movie you watched? As of late  ”The Watcher” on Netflix...One of those corny, scary thrillers. I guess it’s suppose to be a true story at that

3. You’ve just become a finalist in the Miss or Mister Universe Pageant. Congratulations! What unique skill or talent will you show off in the talent round? I’m not bad at axe throwing...

Hi I am Amber,  I just installed Smokeball this morning. I hope that I will find guidance and encouragement in this community. I have been working with my prior management software for over ten years and change is scary. Perfect day for it, though! Happy Halloween!

1. The best advice I ever got was from Tuesday Airola. She was hosting a seminar and said “When I write a letter, I immediately turn it into a form and then I never write THAT letter ever again.” It was life-changing!
  2. The last great TV show I watched is actually really really old. My mom found this old Snowy River TV show from the early 90’s, The McGregor Saga. It is like cotton candy TV, soft and fluffy, feel-good, clean, wholesome family entertainment. I have had it running in the background at home for a week now.
  3. My unique skill or talent that I would show off in a talent round is my superb roller skating (okay not superb, but I’m getting better).

Hi everyone 😊

So keen to be part of the Smokeball Community!

A person’s true character is revealed during times of adversity, not ease.

or

Life’s not fair, get used to it!!

1. Help us find something new to watch. What’s the last great TV show or movie you watched?

Anomalisa - it’s an unsettling stop-motion adult animated movie that explores the dreary humdrum of modern urban life. Never watched anything like it before - would recommend! 

1. You’ve just become a finalist in the Miss or Mister Universe Pageant. Congratulations! What unique skill or talent will you show off in the talent round?

I consider myself a pretty good cook - I can whip up a delicious, culturally-diverse feast in very little time. Or I can sing in French?