Introduce yourself here

Introduce yourself here
Userlevel 4
Badge

Hey there, Smokeball community!

Are you ready for a new introductions thread? I hope so, because it's about time we got to know each other a little better.

We've got some fun questions for you to answer, so let's break the ice and get started:

1. Have you ever had something happen to you that was bad in the moment, but turned out to be for the best? We all have those moments where we think the world is ending, but sometimes they end up being blessings in disguise. Share your story with us!

2. Let's create a bucket list for foodies in the community! What's one restaurant or eatery in your hometown or on your travels that provided you with the best meal you've ever eaten?

3. Okay, here's a controversial one: what's one thing or concoction that you like eating, but other people just can't stand? We won't judge you, promise. In fact, we might just discover some new taste sensations thanks to your suggestions.

So there you have it, three questions to help us get to know each other a little better. I can't wait to see your responses and learn more about the amazing members of our Smokeball community! 😍😃

23 replies

Userlevel 2

Happy May everyone!!!!!  So close to End of Financial Year… now is time to start planning to make sure you have everything in the accounts department organised & reconciled!

1. Everything happens for a reason… and its when we find the lesson in the worst situation, can we move forward!  So many life lessons, but especially when my parents separated - I wouldn’t be as strong & independent if it wasn’t for this happening.

2. Oooh, we live on a sleepy little island, if you ever see a restaurant called Annie Lane on Bribie Island - their food is amazing!!!!

3. Im a chocolate girl - so Double choc ice cream from Cold Rock with Nutella & Choc Brownies mixed in.. my children hate it!

Userlevel 6

Welcome @Deon-Your Legal Bookkeeper wow you were quick!

1. Graduating with a Biotech degree in the middle of a GFC. Turns out my career has been a lot more interesting than if I spent my time inside a lab! 

2. I’ve eaten at the Fat Duck in Bray, England, so that’s hard to top as far as eating experiences go. With that being said there’s a little cafe in the town I live in called The Cupbearer, they make extraordinarily good Flat Whites which pair nicely with their home baked Spinach and Fetta pastries 

3. Mcdonald’s I can’t go past a Big-Mac meal. It’s so bad for me and yet it tastes so good! 

Userlevel 3
  1. Have you ever had something happen to you that was bad in the moment, but turned out to be for the best? We all have those moments where we think the world is ending, but sometimes they end up being blessings in disguise. Share your story with us!

My wallet was stolen along with my passport during a weekend trip in England, which is basically the worst thing that can happen in England. I couldn’t leave the country to go back to my permanent accomodation, and I couldn’t book new hotel rooms because they don’t take bookings without passports. I was homeless for a night before I connected with someone I knew from Australia. I was in and out of the embassy almost every day for two weeks with new information about getting a replacement passport.
Despite that, I was stuck in a really beautiful city. To pass the time I walked everywhere, and I got to know the streets that surrounded the place I stayed. By the end of the few weeks I didn’t even need google maps to know my way around. Even though it was super stressful, I was very fond of my time there.

1. Let's create a bucket list for foodies in the community! What's one restaurant or eatery in your hometown or on your travels that provided you with the best meal you've ever eaten?

Quay Canteen in Wollongong. I go there every time I visit my family.

1. Okay, here's a controversial one: what's one thing or concoction that you like eating, but other people just can't stand? We won't judge you, promise. In fact, we might just discover some new taste sensations thanks to your suggestions.

Fefferoni and (vegan) feta on toast.

Userlevel 3

This looks fun!

Yes! A few years ago, my family and I went for a trip to the Cook Islands. Unfortunately, the way our flights were planned meant we landed at 1am in the morning with no accommodation. We met this taxi driver at the airport who was super friendly and let us stay at his own house for the night with his family who were lovely, then drove us the entire Island to show us around the following day. Can highly recommend to anyone going there for a holiday!  

1. Let's create a bucket list for foodies in the community! What's one restaurant or eatery in your hometown or on your travels that provided you with the best meal you've ever eaten?

The Drunken Admiral in Hobart, Tasmania! Will be going again soon! 

1. Okay, here's a controversial one: what's one thing or concoction that you like eating, but other people just can't stand? We won't judge you, promise. In fact, we might just discover some new taste sensations thanks to your suggestions.

Hands down - hot fries and vanilla ice cream. Don’t knock it till you try it 😄

Userlevel 5
Badge +1
  1. Have you ever had something happen to you that was bad in the moment, but turned out to be for the best?

My first proper “corporate” job sadly ended with half the company being made redundant as they shut down an entire section of the product. A few weeks before Christmas and I was unemployed. Being barely out of my teens, I didn’t realise redundancies come with a decent payout. I used the payout to support myself while I kicked off my own business and spent the next 12 years of my life building and selling my own software and doing contract web dev work for clients. Good times! (I then missed working with other people and moved on from the solo thing!)

2. What's one restaurant or eatery in your hometown or on your travels that provided you with the best meal you've ever eaten?

The first time I went to Thailand I was so excited to order my first real Thai food (keeping in mind, Thai food in Australia is pretty amazing quality). I got the dish, and it was bland.

I told a Thai friend about it, to which he pointed out that I was served the tourist version, and I need to ask for it to be cooked “Thai style”.

So I did.

Fire. So much fire. About half way through the curry I was able to taste flavours again, and it was phenomenal! So not a restaurant, but a great tip for anyone eating out in Thailand, especially in the touristy areas.

3. Okay, here's a controversial one: what's one thing or concoction that you like eating, but other people just can't stand?

I have a pizza oven at home. I love Vietnamese food. Yep, as you guessed, I made a bahn mi pizza.

Stay with me on this one: chicken liver pate base, cheese, BBQ chicken, pickled onion, spring onion, bahn mi Maggi sauce. Cook it, then top with finely diced cucumber, chopped coriander, and a mayonnaise swirl.

Put away your sick bags people - no word of a lie, it actually tasted like a bahn mi.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Had to join in myself! 😄

1. When I first started at my high school in a new state, I thought it was the worst thing to ever happen to me. But I met some of my dearest friends there!

2. Out of Australia, Byblos in Budapest. In Australia, Maha in Melbourne. If you are a fellow lover of Middle Eastern food, you have got to give them a try!

3. I absolutely love drinking pickle juice! Other than that, anything chocolate on chocolate on chocolate (@Deon-Your Legal Bookkeeper I have a sneaky feeling we would get along just fine)
Userlevel 2

While travelling in Indonesia my partner & I hired a scooter & went on a road trip. While out in a remote spot we realised we’d lost the key. 😧
    A few locals started to gather around us as we searched. Nobody spoke English & we didn’t speak Indonesian, we managed to explain to the onlookers using hand gestures what had happened. A local approached us, he pointed to me & signalled that I stay with the bike & pointed at my partner & signalled for him to get on the back of his bike. 
    After half an hour or so the local returned without my partner & in his place was another local carrying tools wrapped in a blanket. I have to admit panic started to creep in at this point. 
    They quickly got off the bike, unrolled the blanket on the floor & started to make a new key on the side of the road. 
    I watched on as they used a file to shape the key by hand, they tested it a few times & finally got the bike running. They handed me the key, packed up & signalled for me to stay there. They rode off, dropped off the locksmith, collected my partner & dropped him back to me & the bike. They wouldn’t take any payment for their help, instead they simply wanted us to to meet their family & try their homecooked food for lunch. Incredible experience!  

2. Let's create a bucket list for foodies in the community! What's one restaurant or eatery in your hometown or on your travels that provided you with the best meal you've ever eaten?

Tough one, too many to choose from!! A recent fantastic experience was at Current Shed in McLaren Flat, South Australia.

3. Okay, here's a controversial one: what's one thing or concoction that you like eating, but other people just can't stand? We won't judge you, promise. In fact, we might just discover some new taste sensations thanks to your suggestions.

I have a couple...
    Sliced bananas & marmalade toast 
    A new one I was recently introduced to Vegemite (or Marmite) on fruit toast 

Userlevel 4
Badge
  1. When I finished my law degree, I was really excited to find my first job working as a Solicitor in Sydney. Unfortunately, everywhere I applied wanted to hire someone who had experience using legal practice management software. I was so bummed that I had never had the opportunity to use legal practice management software whilst I was studying! Only a few weeks later, I got a call from a recruiter asking whether I’d ever heard of a company called “Smokeball”. I jumped at the opportunity to not only learn how to use legal practice management software, but to work for a company that builds it! 6 years and 5 roles later and I’m still here… best opportunity to ever come my way!
  2. I love Two Chaps in Marrickville, Sydney. It’s the best tasting and most well priced degustation menu in Sydney! You can even BYO your own Champagne (which I always do!)
  3. I used to love making myself microwaved scrambled eggs with anchovies, capers and parmesan cheese… please don’t judge me! 😁
Userlevel 3
  1. I love Two Chaps in Marrickville, Sydney.

My favourite brunch place!! 😋

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hello all,

Not that I can think of at the moment.

Don’t laugh, but my favorite restaurant is Walker Brother’s Pancake House.  I ask to go there for my birthday every year.  The apple pancake is amazing and I love their omelets and pancakes.  Seriously the BEST buttermilk pancake you will ever find. 

I like carrots with spicy brown mustard.  Yes folks, carrots and mustard is my thing.  My poor children think it is a normal food combination 🤷

Userlevel 2
  1. ​​​​​​I went to college about 30 minutes from home. It seemed boring compared to my friends who were going out of state. But it was affordable and I could work at both my on and off campus jobs year round. It was a great thing because I have some of the best memories, still have amazing friends from that time and I met my husband the summer before my Sophomore year, we have been together 28 years. 
  2. I am for sure a foodie but not a food snob. I’ve been fortunate enough to eat at a number of Michelin star restaurants. The Inn at Little Washington is a real highlight. I love Cafe de L’Academie in the Gothic quarter in Barcelona, sadly now closed. Another favorite is Miguel’s on Coronado Island in CA. One of my favorite dishes right now is the Duck Poutine -  Duck Confit, Duck Gravy, Duck Fat Fries with Gruyere Cheese at Victoria Gastro Pub here in MD. Luckily, Jose Andres has a number of Bazaar locations, my favorite is in Chicago but the newest one at the Post Office Pavilion in DC is fantastic too. And I would drive 3 hours for the ambiance and food at Il Giardino Restaurant in Virginia Beach, VA. 
  3. @Ben I knew there was a reason I liked you so much. I love McDonald’s - the quarter pounder though and Spicy Popeye’s Fried Chicken with the cajun sparkle packet. 

Hello Everyone. My name is Te’. I have never used Smokeball before and am finding it very helpful. I have been in family law before, but I came from workers comp, criminal and criminal appeals. I am excited to get to know this system and meet you all. 

1. There is almost always something that happens that was bad in the moment, but turned out to be for the best. I have so many… relationships that went sour, friendships that ended, leaving a job. One thing that I can say about my current relationship situations, they have taught me a lot about how much I love on other people and not on myself. So, that has changed in the last 5 months. It has been an interesting healing experience.
  2. Hmmm… I just went to a place call Black Box. They have good sandwiches and I am a fan of french fries. They are my favorite food… 😁They have different fry toppings and they are amazing!
  3. I am not sure that my concoctions are not liked by others. I am big on trying new things and making up snacks that sound kind of nuts, but work so well. I think one thing that I get flack for is loving mint chocolate chip ice cream. It is my favorite. And I just decided to add fried tortillas with cinnamon and sugar… which are a great crunchy element to ice cream when you don’t have cones. 

I am happy to be here and hope to learn a lot. 

Thank you.

Userlevel 6

Welcome @tyoungbl it’s great to have you here and thank you for sharing :) 

This Black Box place is making me hungry! The “sandwich and chips” style of meal is so uncommon here in Australia and it’s definitely to our detriment 😅

Mint and choc chip + fried tortillas with cinnamon? I never would have thought of that, but that sounds SO good. 

Hi all,

I’m the CEO of the Safe & Together Institute, a global domestic violence social enterprise that has a significant footprint in Australia. We also operate in the wider Asia Pacific region, North America and Europe.  I just kicked off the Smokeball Family Violence Series.  We’ve done extensive work with the FCFCOA and many of the statutory child welfare agencies in Australia. We have multiple Partner Agencies and Certified Trainers in Australia and around the globe.  I look forward to chatting. If you want to check out our website: www.safeandtogetherinstitute.com

I'm happy to part of this community! 

David

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for having me in this community group!

My contribution;

1. Car accident that ended my hairdressing career but I went on to study law and recently became a lawyer!
  2. How could I not give a shout-out for the Robertson Pie Shop!
  3. I love coriander in my salad… apparently that’s not normal!?!

Cheers 😊

Userlevel 6

Welcome @Kate Wilson! It’s great to have you here :) 

+1 for the Robertson Pie Shop. Yum! 

Hi Everyone,

My name is Cheryl Duffy, Founder of The Divorce Centre, Divorce Coach, Family Dispute Resolution Practitioner, NMAS Mediator and Parenting Coordinator. 

1. Worse thing that happened to me was my divorce, took 8 years of a hellish journey to transform myself and my life. My only regret wasn’t my divorce but that it took 8 years to recover. I eventually turned that negative event in my life to a positive one by changing career from driving transformational change in a global IT company to helping others through their separation journey so they can accelerate their recovery and create a happy future. 
  2. My favourite local restuarant is Lugarnos seafood Resturant. Great seafood platter.
  3. Food I enjoy that others may not like is going for a nice drive to Robertson pie shop and having a steak and kidney pie. 

Userlevel 6

Welcome to the community @Cheryl and thank you so much for sharing here. Its amazing that you’re able to share from a place of lived experience but with so much deep expertise as a coach and expert in the field on top of that foundation. I think we’re lucky to have people like you out there supporting others. 

I’m a big fan of Robertson’s Pie shop too! Until recently we had some family based on Bowral and it was a regular pit-stop on the way through from Helensburgh where I’m based. 

Greetings,

I'm Miyuru, a dedicated advocate with 14 years of experience in family law in Sri Lanka. Exciting opportunities lie ahead as I embark on a journey to relocate to the Australian Capital Territory (ACT), thanks to a work visa invitation from the ACT government. I've become a part of this vibrant community with a single-minded purpose—to deepen my knowledge of family law in Australia.

My aspiration is to continue pursuing my passion for family law in the Australian context, and I believe that learning from this community's insights and expertise will be instrumental in achieving that goal. Together, let's explore the intricacies of family law in Australia and make meaningful contributions to this field.

1. Once, I found myself entangled in a highly contentious and intricate child access case. Initially, it seemed like the presiding judge was favouring our stance right from the start. To our shock, the final order appeared to contradict the evidence presented. My client and I were deeply distressed by this unexpected turn of events.

However, as fate would have it, that seemingly unfavourable order became the catalyst for our appeal. Our case moved before two different judges during the appeal process, and they not only granted our appeal but also set aside the entire lower court order. This turn of events was pivotal, as it ultimately led both parties to settle the matter amicably.

What's remarkable is that during this process, the other party and their lawyer realized the extent of our client's determination, even willing to escalate the matter to the Supreme Court if necessary. In essence, this experience reinforced my belief that everything happens for a reason.

1. While I'm currently based in Sri Lanka, I can't wait to explore the vibrant food scene in Australia and share my discoveries with you all. In the spirit of culinary anticipation, I'll save my recommendations for when I've had the chance to Savor the Flavors Down Under.
  2. Durian, often dubbed the "King of Fruits," is an exotic tropical fruit that divides taste buds like no other. While its pungent aroma can be quite overwhelming for some, I find the taste to be absolutely delightful. The creamy, custard-like texture and sweet, nuanced flavour make it a personal favourite. What's even better is that my wife shares the same fondness for Durian, which means no complaints about the distinctive smell when we indulge in this tropical treat together. It's a testament to the beauty of diverse tastes and how food can bring people together, even when it comes to something as polarizing as Durian.

Hi everyone!  Our firm is just starting out with Smokeball and I am very excited to see what it can do!  I loved reading everyone’s stories - thank you for sharing. 

1. Have you ever had something happen to you that was bad in the moment, but turned out to be for the best?   A redundancy, like Sam, which was really a shock and a bit scary as a single mum but it ended up being a great opportunity for me as in the new roles post redundancy I met amazing people and was able to play in a development space that I love in LawMaster which I hope to do in Smokeball.

2. Let's create a bucket list for foodies in the community! What's one restaurant or eatery in your hometown or on your travels that provided you with the best meal you've ever eaten?  I’m not really a foodie but love chocolate 😍 and choc mint ice cream 😍 like Te’ 

3. Okay, here's a controversial one: what's one thing or concoction that you like eating, but other people just can't stand? We won't judge you, promise. In fact, we might just discover some new taste sensations thanks to your suggestions.  A banana with a slice of cheese on top sprinkled with black pepper.

I look forward to chatting with you all.

Have a great night!

Bernie :D

I’m Robby Hughes.  My firm is starting on Smokeball on Oct. 9. We are converting from having been on Timematters for about 30 years.  We also have been using Timeslips for the same length of time.  Hoping this conversion is all that we think it will be. 

Hello everyone! I’m Bill Paoli and have been a personal injury attorney in Southern California for too long to recount. We just signed into Smokeball yesterday and frankly I feel lost. Having used Needles for over 30 years this system is significantly different from what I have become accustomed to using to manage our case flow and calendar.

I am still having difficulty trying to get logged onto the program on my mobile device and am unaccustomed to seeing a calendar in the format displayed by Smokeball. I am hoping that this program becomes easier to navigate through and access case information pretty soon because I no longer have the patience I had when I started practicing civil litigation so very long ago.

Userlevel 6

Hi Bill, I’m sorry to hear that you feel lost at the moment. I can certainly understand how jumping to Smokeball with 30 years worth of data and experience would be no small feat! 

I would like to see what I can do to help you find your way and -hopefully- make the transition easier. 

I believe you have connected up with @Kharrington who is your onboarding specialist over email. But - with your blessing, I’d like to see if we can get someone from the team to connect up with you to troubleshoot and customize things for you a little more. 

We can also talk through things here, however I imagine a call might be a bit more straightforward. 

Would that be okay?