Zapier

• 25 July 2023
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi all,

I have just seen in the next update that there will be a Zapier integration. I haven’t heard of this program before and their website is fairly limited on what it shows it can actually do, I am still confused.

I wanted to see if anyone here uses it already or has had experience with Zapier?

Many thanks,

Sam

9 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi Sam, 

Thanks for your question!

Zapier is a platform that you can connect various software tools to automate processes. In Zapier lingo each of these processes are called “Zaps”, and each one of the software/tools are called Zapier apps. 

A Zap has two fundamental parts: “Triggers” and “Actions”; an event triggers an action. 

We developed a Smokeball Zapier app that consists of triggers and actions, which helps you integrate your Smokeball matters, tasks, memos and more with hundreds of other apps. 

An example could be; When an email from a specific address is received (trigger) create a lead in Smokeball (action).

Another example, where an event in Smokeball is the trigger: When a contact is created in Smokeball (trigger), create/sync the contact to my Hubspot. 

Currently, the Smokeball app contains the following triggers and actions:

Triggers List Actions List
  • New Lead
  • New Matter
  • New Contact
  • Contact Updated
  • New Memo
  • New Task
  • New Fee
  • New Expense/Disbursement
  • Create Lead
  • Create Matter
  • Upload File (to a matter)
  • Create Matter Memo
  • Create Task
  • Create Calendar event
  • Create Person Contact
  • Create Organization Contact
  • Find Contact

Opportunities and combinations are endless. Happy to answer if you have any further questions. 

Some links here that explains how Zapier works (probably better than I do):

Zapier Integration – Smokeball Support Hub 

How Zapier works — easy automation for your work

Explore All Apps | Zapier

Hope this helps!

Sarp

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks so much @sarp 

Hopefully there is some community members on here that can give me real world feedback. I am just struggling to think of ways we could incorporate it. Hoping someone is willing to share what they have done with Zapier. Or yourself if you’ve any further ideas.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thank you @sarp I will check this out!

@sarp, Is there any way to get more triggers and actions? These are way too limited. How can we have an Activity Update in Monday.com update a specific task in Smokeball, for example? 

Userlevel 1

Hi Rebecca, 

Thanks for your interest in Smokeball Zapier integration and your valuable feedback. 

We are considering updating our Zapier integration and collecting feedback from our users. I will make sure to include your request to have the ability to update existing tasks. 

We also have “Update Contacts” in our backlog - thought you may be interested in that too. 

The work is not yet planned but you should get an update when these new features are available in Smokeball Zapier integration. 

Thanks, 

Sarp

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@sarp please add a Find Matter action. I find it confusing that Find Contact is available but Find Matter is not.

Userlevel 1

Thank you very much for your feedback @JKibler!

Find Matter is also in our backlog. We have a couple of improvements to be made to our matter search functionality, then we will be ready to build it as a Zapier action. 

Thanks again, 

Sarp

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hopefully there is some community members on here that can give me real world feedback. I am just struggling to think of ways we could incorporate it. Hoping someone is willing to share what they have done with Zapier. Or yourself if you’ve any further ideas.

@samkeo - The Zapier integration is in my view a beta product. This is because the interaction with Smokeball (triggers and actions) are extremely limited. As referenced in my request to @sarp, there is not a method to locate existing matters in order to perform actions on an existing matter.

Most of the triggers and actions available have to do with creating new items (new lead, new matter, new task etc.) which are not connected to existing matters. There is a “Find Contact” action but not yet “Find Matter”. As indicated by @sarp there is work to be done before this could be accomplished. Until then, the Zapier functionality will be limited to such items as triggering events such as emails based on new leads. I have published a “zap” on Zapier for that purpose if that interests you.

@samkeo - The Zapier integration is in my view a beta product. This is because the interaction with Smokeball (triggers and actions) are extremely limited. As referenced in my request to @sarp, there is not a method to locate existing matters in order to perform actions on an existing matter.

Most of the triggers and actions available have to do with creating new items (new lead, new matter, new task etc.) which are not connected to existing matters. There is a “Find Contact” action but not yet “Find Matter”. As indicated by @sarp there is work to be done before this could be accomplished. Until then, the Zapier functionality will be limited to such items as triggering events such as emails based on new leads. I have published a “zap” on Zapier for that purpose if that interests you.

I am interested reading your Zap.

Thank you for providing another informative post/reply.