Skip to main content
Question

time recording how does it actually work

• 22 June 2024
  • 3 replies

how does the time recording actually work.  if you read a case or long document and dont touch teh key board for say 30 minutes what happens?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hello @Antomac ,

Smokeball tracks activity on the document.  If you are clicking, scrolling, typing or moving your mouse over the document, the timer is running.  If you are not doing any of those acviities, the timer will pause after a billing increment of inactivity.  That means that if your firm bills in 6 minute increments, after 6 minutes of idle time, the timer will pause until you resume activity.  If your firm bills in 1 minute increments, then after 1 minute of inactivity the timer will pause.

Userlevel 4

Is there any way to prevent more than one timer from running at the same time? I often schedule meetings with my clients to draft, review and edit documents. After one hour of meeting, I end up with two hours of billing: one hour for the event and one hour for the drafting. Last month I had a trial and billed for 6 hours of time in court. Smokeball also tracked the messages exchanged with my client and all of the documents reviewed. I used Memos to prepare witness examination outlines, so Smokeball tracked that time. The exhibits were in Smokeball, so each exhibit I reviewed was billed. I think the billing for the day exceeded 15 hours for work performed between 8am and 4pm. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hello Alan,

At the moment there is nothing to prevent this which is why it is so important to review the tracked activity at the end of the day so you don’t forget what happened 😉.  I will make sure that the Product team sees your post.  Hopefully they can come up with something to assist.