Time on a matter versus billing - flat fee services

• 13 September 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge
  • Frequent Scribe
  • 53 replies

Hello all.

Is there a canned report that I’m missing that we could compare, for various matter types, the actual time worked versus what we assess for a flat fee for said matter?  

(For flat fee matters, we nonetheless add time, but we mark it as non-billable).

Essentially, we’re trying to right-size our flat fees; and I don’t see an easy way to do the analysis. 

Short of a report that’s already created, going forward, I suppose I’m cross-referencing time entries  for specific matters against billing and income reports.  

It’s job security I guess...

icon

Best answer by maryellen.kellehere 19 September 2023, 17:23

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 2

Hello @JG3 -- our product development team has a report like what you are describing in the works right now!  Keep an eye out for our release announcements via Community posts or our Support Hub

In the meantime, there are some reports that offer similar information that may help towards what you’re analyzing-- in the web platform we have the income allocation report with details and the time write downs report. In desktop via Firm Insights tab we have the Hourly Billing Performance dashboard and the Matter Types insights tab. 

We would love to get your feedback on the report we have in the works-- if you would like to take a look please let me know!

Userlevel 4
Badge

@maryellen.kellehere 

Thanks for the reply; and yes, I would love to beta test the report you are creating.  Feel free to contact me.  

Thanks again.

Hopefully this is still in the works! I tried using the Matter Insight and Firm Insight pages for this, but those only include automatically tracked time (not time manually entered for online research or offline work).

Userlevel 4
Badge

Yes, would love to see this report get released.  In the meantime, we’re doing manual spreadsheet analytics to arrive at this information.  I do love my spreadsheets!

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I have been running the analysis of time vs. flat fees for bankruptcy cases on a case-by-case basis. Total time x hourly rate, which is easy for me as a solo practitioner. However, I would like very much be able to run the prior month/quarter/year for all cases. May I have a look at what is in development?