Solved

Splitting invoices between both parties

• 4 October 2022
  • 2 replies

In family law property matters, it's not uncommon for the parties to agree to split the fees for drafting and filing consent orders (particularly if the other party is unrepresented).

I made a costs agreement to that effect with the OP for limited scope works clearly stating they are not my client etc.

Do I have to create a new matter for this other party to be able to send them an invoice for half the fees?

Or is there a way to create two invoices within a matter, for each party to pay their half?

icon

Best answer by Sam Stephens 4 October 2022, 00:33

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi LegallyBlonde!

It is currently possible to add two debtors to an invoice, and when the invoice is sent out it will be sent to both debtors.

Using this method, there will only be one total on the invoice, though, and so it would be worth noting on the invoice (using the Notes feature) that each debtor is only responsible for 50% of the total.

Having said that, we do have on our roadmap a request to handle the concept of split billing between two parties, and that will be an upcoming feature. It’s good to know there is continued interest in this feature and worth keeping an eye out, especially if you do more of these types of arrangements in the future!

cheers

Sam

Userlevel 2
Badge

That is great news, Sam, because currently I have to copy and paste the entries into an invoice template in excel to send to both debtors. When one invoice is sent from Smokeball, the debtors don’t always (okay never) scroll down the invoice to read the notes, think they owe a lot more and call to complain. Not to mention I have to go into transactions to figure out which debtor has paid and which one hasn’t.