Smokeball on Surface Pro X running Windows for ARM

• 16 July 2022
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi All, 

Just wanted to share with you that Smokeball does work on Surface Pro X running Windows 11 for ARM.  I believe that the requirements posted online on Smokeball’s website refer to Surface Pro X running Windows 10 for ARM. I believe that Smokeball is now functional on Windows for ARM because Microsoft have improved the emulator for Intel/X86 based applications rather than the Smokeball app itself having been recompiled.  Either way, I will take it. 

I am running Windows 11 for ARM Version 22H2 (OS Build 22622.290). 

I did make one tweak to the shortcut to help Smokeball get out of the loop of wanting to apply updates.  I enabled the “Run this program as an administrator” feature to allow Smokeball to be happy that the updates had indeed been applied. 

The speed is decent.  Not amazing.  But decent.  However, the always-connected and instant-resume aspects of the Surface Pro X make it worthwhile to try it out. 

Hopefully, there is one fellow nerd out there who is as happy about this as I am. 😀

-Athar. 

This topic has been closed for comments

1 reply

Userlevel 6

This is great news @atharkhan! Thank you for continuing to experiment and circling back to let the team and our other community members here know. Thanks also to Microsoft I suppose 😅

I’d love to hear how you find using Smokeball on ARM over the next few weeks. I’m sure you’ll be the first of many ARM users.