Solved

Printing checks and alignment

• 8 June 2023
  • 9 replies

Anyone figure out how to use the print checks to actually align well when they print out. The “Fit to Paper” doesn’t work on our copier (Ricoh), and I’ve spent way to long this morning manipulating a PDF to get it to fit. Wondering if anyone has come up with workarounds. 

icon

Best answer by Chad Holaway 12 June 2023, 17:35

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi SandyPDX - I’d recommend contacting Smokeball’s support to help align your checks.  They can help you make adjustments to your page settings, scaling, etc. to line up the checks.  Typically, you do not want to select fit to page as that is not designed for checks.

Thank you Chad! 😀

I still wasn’t able to get it to work; someone sent me an email re Quicken tips, and that was not helpful as we don’t use Quicken. My coworker is now going to try to tackle since I failed miserably and printed out numerous papers trying to get it to align.  

SandyPDX,  Did you ever figure out to adjust the alignment to print checks.  We received new checks with lines.  They do not line up. SB support sent me a video which I watched and did what they suggested but it is still not working.  I wanted to see if you had any luck and are willing share how you solved the problem.

Hi Snovais,

Unfortunately, the video and documents did not help me either. My coworker is trying to tackle it now. She’s now at the stage where I got stuck; the checks print out, but two fields are not aligned properly - Payee and Date. Payee is smooshed too far to the left, as well as the date. Everything else is good. She was planning to email Smokeball a photo of what the result it. She has more patience than I do, so maybe she’ll be able to get it to work. 

Userlevel 6

@SandyPDX please do send that email if you’re able and let me know here when you do. I’d like to make sure we get a look at what’s going on with this. 

Userlevel 6

Quick update, we’ll take a look at the help article on this one and see if there’s anything we can add to it to get a bit further along with the troubleshooting. 

Every printer is built and programmed just a little different, making it hard to figure out what exactly has upset each particular printer. Isn’t technology just great? 😅

I am hoping that between taking a look at your specific cheques and looking for any extra info we can add to our guidance that perhaps we might be able to help here. We’ll do our best! 

Userlevel 6

Sorry one more update @SandyPDX,  “fit to paper” should be OFF, not on. 

Hi, I too have found check printing and setup a train-wreck in Smokeball.  My printer is a Brother HL-L6200DW and there was no way I could get alignment even close.  I discovered that Brother has a utility called “Brother Remote Printer Console.exe, and my copy is dated 12/3/2022 and is about 57,059 KB.  Brother hides things like this in their downloads, and it didn’t show up as a download under my HL-L6200DW, but I tried other laser printers until I found a download option for that item.  Once installed and run, you can adjust on a dot by dot basis, such as print everything “12 dots up and 15 to the right” --all found by trial and error-- and at last I arrived at a workable check-printing solution.

It is certainly a shame that SB can’t do whatever Intuit did with Quickbooks Online check-printing--infinitely easier.  This may be my one and only compliment to Intuit.  

Hope you can find something similar for your Ricoh.