Solved

Not Sure What Type of Matter

• 16 February 2024
  • 4 replies

• Contributor
  • 4 replies

I am not sure what is the best type of matter to open a new file for.  I was just appointed by the Court as the Receiver in a divorce action.  I am not representing the plaintiff, defendant or any party.  Rather, I am acting as the eyes and hears for the court.  What would be the best option to choose when opening this matter in Smokeball?  

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by Josh Hehner 16 February 2024, 16:35

View original

4 replies

Hello Joe, 

I would suggest you use the Family - Third Party matter type. This has a distinct Client (which could be the assigning Courthouse or Judge, or whomever you are billing for your services) and separate Plaintiff and Defendant cards. Let us know if it’s missing any parties or data you need and we can look into adding them for you.

Thanks Josh.  Another question.  Since the Matter Type you suggested is Family - Third Party and strictly deals with Matrimonial actions, is there a generic matter type for Receiver?  I am going to be appointed as a Receiver on another matter, which is not matrimonial. So this type would not work for the other matter.  Thanks

What general area is the other one going to be? Probate? Estate Admin?

Userlevel 4

Joe, to piggy back on Josh’s first response, you can add additional fields to the family - 3rd party matter template if you need, such as accountant, support details, investigator, etc., by click on the gear icon/cog wheel in the upper right corner of the matter template. Could be useful/helpful if you end up needing to add fields that don’t appear in the template by default.

For your other question, knowing the area of law, as Josh pointed out will be helpful. You can also check out the General matter type folder to see offerings for other matter types.

Have a great day!