Credit card surcharges

• 6 July 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Is anyone using the credit card surcharge feature with Lawpay? If so, how is that working out?

3 replies

Userlevel 1

I usually just bake it into my fees as a cost of doing business. But if I was doing substantially more business, I might be tempted to utilize it. For now, I view it as a convenience and I am fine with eating the fee. When I personally buy things now and I see a surcharge, I immediately get a little irate, and I feel like my clients would do the same. I am paying you $10k as a retainer, and you want to charge me a processing fee on top of that? Just wouldn’t want it to disrupt my relationship with the client.

That being said, I am a family law attorney. My colleagues in estate planning who surcharge don’t get as much push back in this arena from my conversations with them.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thank you for your response. Good point about client relations. If a business (mostly state agencies we deal with) want to charge me a credit card surcharge, I will send them a check. Maybe more will send us checks and save us money!

Userlevel 4
Badge

We went back and forth on this.  No surcharge, add a surcharge, and then finally dropped the surcharge  altogether given anecdotal client feedback. Thereafter we tweaked our rates a bit to help offset the growing use of credit cards, even for Trust deposits.