Solved

Converting a contact from an individual to an organization

In our Smokeball migration, many of our contacts that are organizations, such as District Courts, came over as individuals instead of organizations or companies. Is there an easy way to convert these? 

icon

Best answer by emily142 7 April 2023, 23:48

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4

Hi Melissa! I think the best way to go about this is to enter the contact as an organization, and then delete the indiv. contact. This is how I would handle it if I was in this situation. I say this because contacts can get tricky when it comes to billing, and other features within Smokeball.

Here is an article that covers best practices for managing and entering contact: https://support.smokeball.com/hc/en-us/articles/5906617602071-Contacts-Best-Practices

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@MDollar we had the same problem on migration several years ago and @emily142’s solution was also the only solution at that time. Of course, not only do you have to create the new contact but you have to change the contact associated with the matter. It’s something of a pain to do. We simply did this over time as it was convenient or necessary.