Solved

Concerns Regarding Spell Check Accuracy and Limited Suggestions

• 2 November 2023
  • 3 replies

Hey fellow Smokeball users,

I wanted to address a topic that has been bothering me recently - the reliability of Smokeball’s spell check dictionary. Are any of you experiencing similar frustrations? I've noticed that the accuracy of the spell check feature seems to be lacking, and the suggestions it provides are extremely limited. It's almost as if it fails to detect even the most straightforward words or fails to recognize the intended word.

It would be highly beneficial if we could improve the accuracy and expand the range of suggestions offered by the spell check feature. After all, having a reliable spell check is essential for ensuring the quality and professionalism of our work.

I understand that developing and maintaining a comprehensive dictionary can be a complex task. Nonetheless, investing in the enhancement of our spell check feature would undoubtedly contribute to a more seamless and efficient user experience.

I would greatly appreciate hearing your thoughts and experiences regarding the current spell check dictionary. Has anyone else noticed similar issues?

icon

Best answer by JKibler 7 November 2023, 22:43

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Smokeball does not supply a spell check dictionary. Microsoft word includes its own dictionary and so does Microsoft Windows (I believe). It is possible to create custom Microsoft word dictionaries. It would not make sense for Smokeball to invest in this as they don’t have a feature of that sort currently and the next step in the field of text generation is going to be integrating “AI” in the form of LLMs into word processing for small business. Currently, Microsoft co-pilot for Word is only generally available for businesses with more than 300 users at a rate of $30/user per month. Keep your eye out for this to change in the next 6 months to a year.

​Hi @JKibler 

Thank you for your prompt response. I appreciate your assistance thus far. I have a question regarding the spell check functionality in Memos and Messages. I am curious to know which specific spell check system is being utilized, as I am not entirely clear on its dictionary reference.

Your insight on this matter would be greatly appreciated. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

I believe that the dictionary is supplied by the Windows 11 Operating system. It is applied throughout windows applications including basic ones like notepad. 

1. Press the Win+I hotkey to open the Settings app
  2. Under “Windows Permissions” Select the Privacy & security category
  3. Access the Inking & typing personalization page
  4. Click on the Custom dictionary option. Now you will see the list of all the words added to the personal dictionary (including the typos).