Solved

Change Default Matter Types

Is it possible to change the Default Matter types and sub-types?

icon

Best answer by Sara Sultan 7 April 2023, 00:31

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hello @JSTupitza 

There is no way to change the name of matter categories and sub types as that is global to all Smokeball users.  I am curious as to what you want changed.  Would you mind sharing some more details please?  There may be another way to get what you are looking for.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Not a pressing issue, but at least for us, we’d like to shorten the names of selected matter types as they are used throughout SB and kind of clunky when viewing your dashboard, on invoicing, in automation, etc.  For example: “Guardianship of an Alleged Incapacitated Person” could be “Guardianship of Alleged AIP”. 

We have workarounds that involve creating a more user-friendly matter [description], but many of the SB tables have fixed columns that aren’t customizable to view the description.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Not a pressing issue, but at least for us, we’d like to shorten the names of selected matter types as they are used throughout SB and kind of clunky when viewing your dashboard, on invoicing, in automation, etc.  For example: “Guardianship of an Alleged Incapacitated Person” could be “Guardianship of Alleged AIP”. 

We have workarounds that involve creating a more user-friendly matter [description], but many of the SB tables have fixed columns that aren’t customizable to view the description.

Hi @JG3 while you cannot change the names of our matter types, you can remove that column and choose to just view the custom description your firm has created.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Thanks Sara.  Very much appreciate that, but in the future we’re hoping that other tables (esp in billing functions) have customizable columns.

Here are a few I wish were there:

1. Expert Witness Engagement. (I know it is already under Genral)
  2. Mediation Engagement   “ “
  3. Engagement as Arbitrator  “ “
  4. Real Estate Litigation /  Failure to Disclose
  5. Real Estate Litigation /  Boundary Dispute
  6. Appeals / Tax Assessment
  7. Probate Estate Administration / Will Contest
  8. Probate Estate Administration / Accounting
  9. Fiduciary Litigation is under Civil, could it go with the Probate category, which covers things in Surrogate / Orphans’ Court generally.
  10. Civil / Malpractice
  11. Real Estate Broker/Agen Malpractice.

I understand items in Matter Type and Sub-Type are universal, BUT, is there a reason for doing that?