Solved

Auto-Save in Word

• 22 July 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2

Has anyone had issues with losing work if Word crashes?  There does not seem to be an auto-save feature when working from documents opened from Smokeball

icon

Best answer by Leah 22 July 2022, 07:50

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 3

Hi Ambry!

Thanks for the great question.

You can keep your data safe by setting up AutoSave within Word. Read more about how to set up AutoSave here.

Documents that are AutoSaved can be used to help you recover and restore any lost work in Smokeball.

Here's what to do if you experience a crash:
1. Load the most recent version of your document in Word.
2. Click the “Save & Close” icon in the Smokeball widget in your document.
3. Select  "Save" from the below options.

• The “Save” icon will update your document in Smokeball. This is great if you just need to restore a small amount of lost data.
  • The “Save As” icon will save the document to the Smokeball matter with a new name you have given it. This is great if you're not sure which version to keep.

I've checked and can see that the team is aware of the request for an AutoSave straight back to Smokeball. We haven't got a timeline for doing this yet. I'll let the team know about this thread.

Userlevel 2

Office 365 actually now autosaves continuously and automatically.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/what-is-autosave-6d6bd723-ebfd-4e40-b5f6-ae6e8088f7a5#:~:text=AutoSave%20is%20a%20new%20feature,for%20Business%2C%20or%20SharePoint%20Online.

But … if the document is associated with a Smokeball matter you must click the Smokeball save icon on the tool bar.  MS Word autosave then does not work.

As soon as you associate a matter with Smokeball the document DOES NOT appear in the recent files drop down box.

This means that documents that have been worked on do not appear in “recent items” and, if Word crashes, it is not possible to recover the most recent version.   That most recent version would be a couple of seconds old if working in OneDrive.  

I note your comment that the team is aware of the issue.  It is most certainly not ideal - it seems counter-productive to open a document from Smokeball and have to save to One Drive so as to not potentially lose the document.

Userlevel 6

Hi @Ambry, hmm that doesn’t sound quite right. I’ve had a chat to the team here and they’ll follow up.  We’ll reach out to find a time to take a look at what’s happening for you shortly, please keep an eye on your email.