Solved

Ask Field - Prefilling addressed party

• 3 January 2024
  • 4 replies

I am trying to automate a letter to send to our clients’ medical providers for unresponsiveness. I have gotten it to prefill just about everything, except for one section within the letter. I created an ask that should insert the medical provider selected, but when I select the medical provider, it does not fill the field. Instead, it just leaves a blank space. How do I fix this? Is there a different ask type I should make? 

For context, the ‘Ask’ I have is a Party Selection Ask, with Medical Provider being the Party. What have I done wrong?

icon

Best answer by mgiesch 3 January 2024, 20:27

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@Liberty M. The Ask function should ask you to add the name when you first open the letter. I am not familiar with Personal Injury fields in Smokeball, but I did review https://support.smokeball.com/hc/en-us/articles/6009675309335-Medicals-Settlement-Details. To add the Medical Provider name and address to a letter, you would have insert the field for the name of the Medical Provider from the Fields dropdown in the form. If there are more than one Medical Providers, you can change the selected Medical Provider by clicking on the field in your letter and using the Replace References function. You may be able to use the Ask type “Party Selection,” which will create a drop down list of contacts in the Matter. 

Thank you, Mr. Gort. I did try this, so what I’ve done instead is have ask who the provider is and provide a text prompt to just enter it. Not sure why the “Party Selection” way was not working. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@Liberty M. I have also not been able to successfully use an ask “party selection”.

Hi @Liberty M. , thank you for your question. The Party Selection Ask field will only work in tandem with the automation fields for the party that you want to select from --- it will not return any values on its own.

For example, if you want to have a Party Selection Ask for Medical Provider, you need to insert into the document both the Party Selection Ask field you created and the relevant automation field you want to appear, like the <<Plaintiff/Medicals & Settlement Details/Medical Provider(s)/Full Name>> field. The Party Selection Ask field itself will always return a blank but it will change the Medical Provider/Full Name field to the name of the party that you selected in the prompt.

Here is a screenshot of this example in practice:

You should try to place the Party Selection Ask field as close as possible to the top of the document. The line that the field is on will appear blank once I have made my selection from the prompt window:

The Party Selection Ask will change all the values for the automation fields for a specific party (like Medical Provider) to the values of the selected party. Please let me know if this helped and if you have any questions.