Solved

Application Error Message

• 15 July 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

Good morning Smokeball community.

I am currently working directly with Smokeball on a technical issue, and I would like to get feedback from any other users who may be experiencing this issue.

In a nutshell, when attempting to open documents in our Smokeball application, we receive the following Application Error:

“There was a problem communicating with Word.  Please close the application and try again.  It is recommended you save all documents before closing.”

If anyone has experienced this issue and remedied the error, I’d love to learn about how you accomplished that.

Thank you,

Matt

icon

Best answer by Sara Sultan 15 July 2022, 17:35

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hello Matt,

That error message can occur for a couple of reasons.

1. Word is not already open in the background and it takes Word too long to load. (communication times out)
  2. The Smokeball Word Add-in has been disabled (sometimes this is due to a conflicting Add-in installed in Word.  The most common in the Adobe PDF add-in.)

If Word is already open in the background when you get this message, please submit a support ticket here so our team can help you with the Add-in issue.

Userlevel 1

Thanks Sara, that is helpful feedback.  I have been working with SB support and they didn’t mention keeping word open.  Alas, I worked with Kate in support today and she got us straightened out.  Happy Smokeballers as usual.

Mine was working perfectly at first but since the last few updates I get the message if I don’t leave word open. I just leave it open. It’s a pain sometimes but it is what it is.