Introduce Yourself Here- August 2022

• 1 August 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

I’m taking the lead this month on the tradition of creating a new conversation each month for members new and old to get to know each other by answering some random questions.

Whether you’ve been using Smokeball for years or are brand new here, please feel free to have some fun tackling these questions. 

Here are your August questions!

1. Have you ever met a famous tv or film or stage lawyer? If not, have you met any other celebrities or anyone famous?
  2. What is your favorite category or matter tag you currently use in Smokeball ? Or, if you’re new to tags, what’s one feature you’re finding super handy when using Smokeball? 
  3. What is your favorite summer food or drink?

Also, photo for attention for this post, here is Joel McHale aka Tv Lawyer Jeff Winger from the TV series community. If this isn’t the perfect blend of question no. 1, a lawyer and community based, I don’t know more what could be?

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I have been using Smokeball since October 2019. I am a solo attorney focusing on bankruptcy and insolvency, business and corporate law, and civil, bankruptcy, probate, and guardianship litigation. I am currently implementing Lawmatics for managing campaigns and automating intake communications.

The answers:

1. Have you ever met a famous tv or film or stage lawyer? Not yet.
  2. What is your favorite category or matter tag you currently use in Smokeball? I use additional Authorized Contacts in virtually every matter.
  3. What is your favorite summer food or drink? Gin & Tonic or Margaritas, 

Userlevel 6
  1. Have you ever met a famous tv or film or stage lawyer? If not, have you met any other celebrities or anyone famous in your town? Or just anyone that stands out as cool that you have encountered in your daily life?  

I have not met any famous actors that play lawyers, however I hear that we once filmed an advert with Calista Flockhart aka Ally McBeal for Smokeball. Does that count? I wonder if that video is still around somewhere… 

I have met a few famous musicians in my photography side hustle. Probably my favourite experience being spending some time back stage chatting with Xzibit. 

2. What is your favorite category or matter tag you currently use in Smokeball ? 

I quite like the way you can use tags to set up email campaigns in Campaign Monitor I think that’s really clever. So, I think I’d choose a tag like “March Check-in” or “Prospective Client” as I can see how this would make it easier to reach out to new and ongoing clients. 

It’s winter here in Australia, so I’m looking forward to a nice cold beer when things warm up again in a few months!  I love IPA’s and NEIPA’s and I’m currently keen to try a Neon Nectra Hazy IPA by Modus Operandi. 
Userlevel 4
Badge
  1. Have you ever met a famous tv or film or stage lawyer? If not, have you met any other celebrities or anyone famous in your town? Or just anyone that stands out as cool that you have encountered in your daily life?  

I haven’t met anyone who plays a lawyer (that I know of) but back when I worked at a tech store that is named after a fruit I helped Steve Martin, Steven Tyler, John Barrowman, Grant Gustin, and a few Vancouver Canucks. Does that count?
  2. What is your favorite category or matter tag you currently use in Smokeball ? 

I think using matter tags to help delineate types of Personal Injury matters is really useful! Being able to quickly see/sort by whether a matter is Medical Malpractice, involves a death, involves a minor, is a dog bite etc is really cool. The fact that each firm can make their own tags based on how they refer to things is even better!

For summer drinks it’s all about cold brew coffee or iced lattes for me! As for food…. I generally am on the seefood diet… I see food and I eat it!

To the best of my knowledge, I have not met an actor or actress who at one time portrayed a lawyer, but that could also be a faulty memory or an inability to read IMDB. I have met many famous people from the world of entertainment and professional sports teams. Too many to mention before I run out of characters.

2. What is your favorite category or matter tag you currently use in Smokeball?

Using the Med-Mal matter tag helps firms determine which of their Personal Injury matters are Medical Malpractice matters. There are a number of matter tags that are quite useful for PI firms, but Med-Mal is the best one to say aloud.

Slowly enjoying a cool, refreshing lemonade margarita is a perfect end to a hot summer day.

Userlevel 4

Bob Odenkirk. I have also met Judge Judy…. Who doesn’t love Judge Judy. She cracks the whip.

I come from a dominant Family Law background. I love the Maintenance/Alimony and Child Support tags. Not every dissolution action involves spousal support, and not every married/divorced couple has children.

Tacos. But that’s 365. Never changes.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hello All!  I am a Senior Trainer with Smokeball since 2014.

Little known fact, Jerry Springer, (yes talk show Jerry) has his JD.  I waited tables at Cheesecake Factory and was able to serve him and his family.  Decent tipper.  The same can not be said of “no tippin Pippin”.  I used to wait tables and would get Scottie Pippin and some other Bulls.  Never good when he paid.

I LOVE task categories!!!!!  Super helpful to sort through all of my tasks.  My favorite category is too hard to pick.  I like them all: Urgent, Hard deadline, client related, 

Favorite summer food is probably watermelon.  For my favorite summer drink my vote is lemonade.

Joining in on this thread as I’m an August baby! 

No TV/film/stage lawyers, but I’ve run into some rugby league and soccer stars, and back in 2010 I went to the South Africa World Cup and ran into some Korean celebrities who were attending the same games! Here is a pic of my, a mate, and Billy Slater from an NRL game in 2017. Ah, that pre-Covid life.

Although my team helps support our clients using category or matter tags in Smokeball, I alas do not use it enough to have a favourite!

One of my favourite things to have in the summertime is a Korean dessert called a bingsoo which is a sweet, sweet combination of ice cream, ice shavings, condensed milk, and other sweet bits like fruit or red bean or gummies - although knocking the froth off a couple of cold beverages doesn’t go astray either in the summer to be honest.